Non-rigid coregistration shrinks cord (sct_register_multimodal, syn algo, 4.0 beta 2)

Dear forum

I have run into a problem using sct_register_multimodal, sct version 4.0.0 beta 2. Or not necessarily a problem, just something I don’t understand and that might be worth highlighting.

I am registering an MT weighted scan to a MEDIC. Resolutions are 625um^2 and 450um^2 respectively. The MEDIC was a 2D scan, the MT a 3D one.

When I use a non-rigid algorithm (syn) to coregister, the spinal cord in the resulting registered MTw scan appears compressed, and the vertebrate are comparatively enlarged. Please see the picture for more info.
MEDIC:
Centermass coreg:
Syn coreg:

I tried supplying a mask (35mm, cylinder), it did not improve the situation. I am getting this issue when I use non-linear transformations, but not for linear ones or center-of-mass ones. Why is this happening? What can I do to avoid this issue? Is this WAD?

Data here: Dropbox - 4JCA.zip - Simplify your life
Password: spinalcord

Commands for each output, and wether the issue appears:
No issue on these:
sct_register_multimodal -i MTw_mean.nii -iseg MTw_mean_seg.nii -d MEDIC.nii -dseg MEDIC_seg.nii -param step=1,algo=translation,type=im -m mask_MEDIC.nii -o ./Examples/translation.nii
sct_register_multimodal -i MTw_mean.nii -iseg MTw_mean_seg.nii -d MEDIC.nii -dseg MEDIC_seg.nii -param step=1,algo=rigid,type=im -m mask_MEDIC.nii -o ./Examples/rigid.nii
sct_register_multimodal -i MTw_mean.nii -iseg MTw_mean_seg.nii -d MEDIC.nii -dseg MEDIC_seg.nii -param step=1,algo=affine,type=im -m mask_MEDIC.nii -o ./Examples/affine.nii
sct_register_multimodal -i MTw_mean.nii -iseg MTw_mean_seg.nii -d MEDIC.nii -dseg MEDIC_seg.nii -param step=1,algo=slicereg,type=im -m mask_MEDIC.nii -o ./Examples/slicereg.nii
sct_register_multimodal -i MTw_mean.nii -iseg MTw_mean_seg.nii -d MEDIC.nii -dseg MEDIC_seg.nii -param step=1,algo=centermass,type=seg -m mask_MEDIC.nii -o ./Examples/centermass.nii
sct_register_multimodal -i MTw_mean.nii -iseg MTw_mean_seg.nii -d MEDIC.nii -dseg MEDIC_seg.nii -param step=1,algo=centermassrot,type=seg -m mask_MEDIC.nii -o ./Examples/centermassrot.nii

Issue present here:
sct_register_multimodal -i MTw_mean.nii -iseg MTw_mean_seg.nii -d MEDIC.nii -dseg MEDIC_seg.nii -param step=1,algo=syn,type=im -m mask_MEDIC.nii -o ./Examples/syn.nii
Slicereg does not change the outcome
sct_register_multimodal -i MTw_mean.nii -iseg MTw_mean_seg.nii -d MEDIC.nii -dseg MEDIC_seg.nii -param step=1,algo=syn,type=im,slicewise=1 -m mask_MEDIC.nii -o ./Examples/syn_slicewise.nii

I tried running it with bsplinesyn, but it did not finish in 2 hours.

Different artefact here
sct_register_multimodal -i MTw_mean.nii -iseg MTw_mean_seg.nii -d MEDIC.nii -dseg MEDIC_seg.nii -param step=1,algo=columnwise,type=seg -m mask_MEDIC.nii -o ./Examples/colwise.nii

Best wishes

Daniel

1 Like

Hi @Daniel_Papp

Firstly, the reason SyN gave you bad results is because you did not specify a metric for the cost function, and the default metrics is MeanSquares (which in this case does not work because your source and destination images have different contrasts and voxel scaling). So you would need to specify the parameter -p metric with either CC or MI.

Secondly, I would recommend a 2-step approach for this problem: first, coarse alignment using the segmentations, followed by fine-tuning using non-linear algo (SyN or BSplineSyN).

Thirdly, instead of using a mask to focus on the spinal cord region, you could simply crop the destination image. It does the same thing as the mask, and also gives you a huge benefit in terms of computational time (running 3D kernel with SyN on a 384x384x16 image is definitely super slow!).

Something likes this does a pretty good job:

# Create mask around the spinal cord
sct_create_mask -i MEDIC.nii -p centerline,MEDIC_seg.nii -f cylinder -size 35mm -o MEDIC_mask.nii.gz
# Crop image for faster computation and more accurate registration around the spinal cord region
sct_crop_image -i MEDIC.nii -m MEDIC_mask.nii.gz -o MEDIC_crop.nii.gz
# Register
sct_register_multimodal -i MTw_mean.nii -iseg MTw_mean_seg.nii -d MEDIC_crop.nii.gz -dseg MEDIC_seg.nii -param step=1,type=seg,algo=centermass:step=2,algo=syn,type=im,metric=CC,iter=3,slicewise=0 -o ./Examples/awesome_registration.nii.gz -qc qc-reg

Here is the QC report: qc-reg.zip (386.7 KB)

Hope that helps!
Julien

1 Like

Amazing indeed!

Thank you very much!