Exporting segmented spines to 3d objects

Hello, I’ve been investigating using SCT for a problem that I’m trying to solve and since I cannot find anything specific in the documentation, I thought I’d ask the forum to see if its possible.

What I’m looking to do is to take the results of segmenting the spine and export it to a 3D format (STL preferably) so that I can load that up in a CAD program.

Can anyone tell me if this is something that is possible with the current toolkit?

Also, the data sets that I am working from are in the DICOM format from CT scans, will that be a problem?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Hi Jeff!

What I’m looking to do is to take the results of segmenting the spine and export it to a 3D format (STL preferably) so that I can load that up in a CAD program.
Can anyone tell me if this is something that is possible with the current toolkit?

Not with SCT. That would be done using a 3rd party software. I know for example that Osirix/Horos can transform a binary file into a mesh, which can then be exported as STL. I’m sure other software can do that. @alexandrufoias maybe you have some ideas?

Also, the data sets that I am working from are in the DICOM format from CT scans, will that be a problem?

SCT only takes NIFTI inputs. It is designed for MRI data, but some routines like sct_propseg are “agnostic” to the modality and if there is good contrast between the cord and the CSF, segmentation should work fine. Some params probably need to be adjusted though.

Thanks for the quick reply. I’ll take a look at Osirix/Horos and see if they can help me.

Jeff

Hi @jpennal,

Maybe you can try the solution suggested here.

Or the osirix one (the last reponse on the thread).

I managed in the past to export to STL from the 3D rendering in Osirix.